Skip to content

Penny Lane is in my heart!

February 17, 2011

My father is a lot like the soup nazi in Seinfeld. Only, instead of soup he is very safety minded. So when the runner in Laguna Hills (very close to my usual running route), was recently attacked my parents were very concerned about my safety while out running. I try not to run at night ever. I will mostly just go to the gym if I can help it. However, there is a big difference between the treadmill and the pavement so in my opinion there is just no substitute for running outside. Let’s face it I signed up for a 26.2 mile death march so I have to get serious about my training consistency.

The first thing I did was buy one of these from Road Runner Sports (my favorite running store ever!). However running with pepper spray was a great idea for defense but I couldn’t help but wonder if there was a way to deter attackers. For the most part have just been running in broad daylight and keeping my music only so high that I can still hear my footsteps. I was discussing my predicament with my mom the other day when she suggested I take the family dog. I immediately laughed. Penny is a King Charles Spaniel. She can sprint, but it’s not a sprint it’s a marathon hehe ūüôā I wasn’t planning on crushing any records yesterday I just wanted to run 5 miles. I knew Penny had been cooped up all day because of the rain. Reluctantly I decided to give it a shot.

This is Penny Lane. She is not a ferocious dog.


She is full of mischief, not terror.


There had been splotches of rain all day and I wasn’t sure if we would actually end up being able to go out. I used to hate running in the rain. When I was training for the Long Beach Half Marathon we had a ton of rain and I was forced to confront my fear. Since then I’ve kind of fallen in love with it. Penny is a child of nature, she rolls in the grass and eats sticks like they are dog treats. She would rather drink from the hose then from a bottle and any day she is outside is the best day of her life. I’m sure this sounds like your typical dog but our Pug is actually part human and will not go outside unless he is assured he will be let in soon after. Anyway, things finally started drying up and at 4:30 I decided to make a run for it. I pulled on a warm pair of running tights and my new Surf City Half Marathon shirt. I decided to put my pepper spray and my phone into my iFitness belt so I would have them if I needed them. I grabbed Penny’s leash and we headed out.

I was not surprised that she sprinted the first mile. Even going up the first big hill she was hustling. ¬†A few times she ran in front of me and it took some¬†maneuvering¬†not to trip over her. It was a little frustrating because instead of focusing on my running I was always focused on what she was doing. We got to the nature center and as we curved around the wooded path she finally started to relax. I yelled some words of encouragement to her and almost in a cheer back she panted away with the biggest doggy smile. We started running down the dirt path to the lake and Penny and I were finally in sync. The weather however had other ideas. Suddenly it started raining. The drops weren’t big but they were¬†definitely¬†noticeable. I stuck it out for a little while and when I got the lake I clicked off my Nike Plus and stopped to put my headphones in my belt. Penny started crying. She wanted to keep going! As soon as I had put my phone back I clicked the Nike off pause and Penny and I took off. It seemed like we took giant steps and the scenery was flying by! The rain stopped and the clouds turned a brilliant shade of orange. All I could hear was Penny and I breathing together and our feet crunching in the wet sandy dirt. We had the whole lake to ourselves and we made the most of it.

As we came back up to our neighborhood I looked up and noticed a brilliant rainbow across the sky. We bounded up the last 2 hills home and then took a cool off walk for about a 1/2 mile. I was so proud of this little dog despite the weather we managed to run 5 miles with an average pace of 8’45 a mile. She was covered in mud and she got a bath the moment I got home. I expected her to sleep the rest of the night but she didn’t act like she had been out for a run at all. Finally at 8 she started slowing to a sleep.

Finally taking a breather!

Whether Penny was a deterrent or not I can’t really say, but I enjoyed taking her out and I can’t wait to do it again.

Love and Hugs,


One Comment leave one →
  1. laura permalink
    February 20, 2011 9:03 am

    I can’t believe she had it in her!! Tough little thing!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: